“The Secrets of Slave Songs” intimately re-imagines Traditional Negro Spirituals and their direct relation to the African-American quest for freedom. This full-length piece—born from the belief that the Traditional Negro Spiritual was a secret language between slaves—powerfully presents the heartbreak of attempted escape, the sorrow of failure, and the triumph of liberation.
Through dramatic movement and song, “The Secrets of Slave Songs” explores the complicated, intertwined relationships between white Americans and African slaves as the origin of continued complex relationships between white and black Americans.
The mission of The Karen L. Charles Threads Dance Project (Threads) is to examine, expose, and celebrate the threads that connect us.
Threads seeks to be a national organization that betters humanity through dance, education, and outreach by:
- Creating dances that touch on themes of human connectedness
- Promoting dialogue, understanding, and acceptance of all individuals
- Celebrating the human spirit through dance performance, arts education, and community-building
- Artistic Excellence
- Human Connection
- March 18, 2017 | 2:00pm & 7:30pm
- Porter Sanford III Performing Arts & Community Center | 3181 Rainbow Drive, Decatur, GA, 30034 | Get directions here
- $20 Adult, $15 Student, Senior, Children 12 & Under
- Tickets: www.ticketworks.com or call 612-343-3390